Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Antibiotic allergy

Antibiotic allergy

Patient: My child has allergies with almost all types of antibiotics. what will be the possible alternative medication? Is there any medications that will desensitize my child?

Doctor: Depending on the type of antibiotic that your child is allergic to, a possibility of desensitization if no other antibio tics are available to treat certain kind of infection might be possible. I would suggest you to consult your pediatrician for an antibiotic allergy testing.Testing will take a total of two to four hours. Because much of the time will be spent waiting in between procedures, feel free to bring a game, book, snacks or other special diversions as appropriate for you and your child. After this test is done, your pediatrician will advice you on which type of antibiotics are contraindicated or might need to be desensitized.