Antibiotics and sexual supplements

Patient

Q: Dear Doctor: I have been prescribed antibiotic Ciprofloxacin 500 mg by my physician for sore throat and flu, to be taken twice a day. The question is whether I can continue taking my sexual supplements, which I regularly use. I regularly take Vigrxplus and Volume Pills, both of which are largely natural herbal based supplements. However, I was too embarrassed to ask my physician if I can continue taking these supplements and if they will interfere in any way with my twice a day antibiotics dose. Kindly advise.

Symptoms:  Not applicable
Doctor

A:   Thank you for your question

There are no studies on interactions of the pills you mentioned.

However, almost all medications (herbal and non herbal) require the use of liver enzymes to broken down and be effective.

When multiple medications are taken at the same time, the ability of the body to metabolize all of them is compromised and they will not be as effective as intended.

It would be advisable to delay the use of herbal medications until your infection is cleared