Antibiotics for prostate infection?

Patient: I have had urine tests and blood tests twice both normal except small amount of blood in urine.I have irritation in groin feeling need to urinate and irritation between legs worse when sitting can be uncomfortable throbbing sensation.Would it be worth asking Dr to try antibiotics for prostate infection such as doxycycline over 6 weeks as this is suggested on medical sites as infection does not always show on tests and is useful to make sure infection is not the cause.

Symptoms: I have irritation in groin feeling need to urinate and irritation between legs worse when sitting can be uncomfortable throbbing sensation.

Doctor: Thank you for your question. Prostatitis or an infection of the prostate presents with symptoms that you are describing , but more commonly UTIs can also have a similar symptom profile. It is important to see your doctor again and have the appropriate medications started to treat this. Fluoroquinolones are often the antibiotics used to treat UTIs and can also treat prostatitis as well. Please return to your physician for as soon as possible.Thank you for choosing askthedoctor.com