Antibiotics for UTI in Pregnancy

Patient : Dear Doctor, I am 6wks pregnant and tested positive for UTI.....What type of antibiotics can i use to treat UTI?
Doctor :   Certainly, pregnant women are at an increased risk to develop UTIs. Pregnancy hormones cause changes in the urinary trac t which predispose women to infections. In addition, as the uterus grows it presses on the bladder and can prevent complete emptying of urine. This urine stasis is a likely source for infection. I would suggest you to consult your physician for an antibiotic prescription, Nitrofurantoin or other similar antibiotics cause no harm in pregnant women and could treat your UTI. I wish you a prompt recovery.