Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Antibiotics for UTI in Pregnancy

Antibiotics for UTI in Pregnancy

Patient: Dear Doctor, I am 6wks pregnant and tested positive for UTI…..What type of antibiotics can i use to treat UTI?

Doctor: Certainly, pregnant women are at an increased risk to develop UTIs. Pregnancy hormones cause changes in the urinary trac t which predispose women to infections. In addition, as the uterus grows it presses on the bladder and can prevent complete emptying of urine. This urine stasis is a likely source for infection.I would suggest you to consult your physician for an antibiotic prescription, Nitrofurantoin or other similar antibiotics cause no harm in pregnant women and could treat your UTI. I wish you a prompt recovery.