Antiobiotics and the Pill

Patient

Q: I was on a course of antibiotics fro 5 days. I finished 3 days ago. following the completion i started my pill again... will this effect the effectiveness of my pill?

Doctor

A:   Hi, Using antibiotic and birth control pill in tandem will not affect the effectiveness of the pill. But if you have stopped the birth control pill during the antibiotic usage then it may not provide total contraceptive effect depending on when during the cycle you missed the pill. Extra contraceptive methods may be required to avoid pregnancy.