Antioxidant Supplements & Medication Interactions

Q: Can I take acetyl-l-carnitine or CoQ 10 supplements if I'm taking Wellbutrin? I am trying to lose weight (I'm 5'4" and 190lbs, so I need to cut down a good 50lbs. I am eating healthier and exercising, but I heard that I could take either of these supplements and it would increase my ability to not have as much muscle fatigue when I work out and help me use fat as energy before muscle. I am taking 150 mg of Wellbutrin (Bupropion) twice a day, so I was not sure if there would be a negative reaction if I take either of these supplements while on this medication. I am on Wellbutrin to help with my ADHD and it is working well.

Symptoms:  No symptoms

A:   Welcome to Ask The Doctor.
We are here to help you.

I would not advise you these combinations. The theory of fat burning that you have applied is not valid.
I would advise you to do regular exercises, diet modification.
If you have excessive weight, you should discuss with your Doctor to prescribe you Orlistat for the same.
Share my opinion with your doctor before acting upon it.

I hope it helps.
Stay Healthy.