Anxiety – Cerazette to blame?

Patient: I currently take cerazette, and have been taking it for about a year and a half without any problems. However, I’ve had periods of feeling extremely anxious and upset without any real cause and was wondering if it could be my birth control. It happened in April, and is happening now. The anxiety literally descends from nowhere: My heartbeat is fast, I feel tense and tearful constantly, I have trouble sleeping and it is all over very small, ridiculous things. Should I stop taking cerazette or continue until I see a doctor? I currently live abroad and it’s difficult for me to see a doctor here for communication reasons, so I probably won’t be able to see anyone for about 6 weeks.

Doctor: One of the side effects of Cerazette (desogestrel) is mood changes. Though this occurs in less than 2% of cases, the sym ptoms may cause concern to those taking the pill. If the symptoms are affecting your day to day activities, you may try withholding the drug and using alternative means of protection (condoms). Stopping the pill has its own set of problems including irregular periods, spotting and abdominal cramps.