Anxiety/Depression/Substance Abuse pre & post war

Patient

Q: I've been out of the USMC for just over a year, have noticed extreme difficulty implementing myself back into society. I have a regular, college-degree level 9 - 5 type job now yet still find it hard "finding purpose" or "drive". I seem to be stuck in my time in the Corps. Is this normal

Symptoms:  Anxiety, occasional depression/self-pity, lack of motivation, mind racing, insomnia, physical body pain, I can "connect the dots" per se, however, my instincts take over in times of conflict/struggle and I revert to panic attacks and self-pity/hate, NEVER SUICIDAL/HARMFUL however....Many of these symptoms were present to a lesser extent prior to my service, however, my combat experience has exacerbated them.
Doctor

Thanks for your question on "Ask The Doctor".
The change in the job function seems to have caused an adjustment disorder in you. This is a mild form of mood disorder that is commonly noticed among those who leave Corps and join the civil life. This will not require medicines. Instead, this will require some counseling and cognitive behavioural therapy. Cognitive behavioural therapy will help in finding the thought distortions and correcting them through specialized counseling techniques. Meet your doctor and get an arrangement for a CBT therapist.
Hope I am able to answer your concerns.

Wish you good health!