Apple cider vinegar - and its benefits.

Q: I have been drinking a cup of hot water with 2 TBLS of apple cider vinegar and some honey once a day. I've just read that you can drink this before each meal - I love the idea since it clears my sinuses and helps me be more 'regular'. How much can I safely consume per day? Thank you.

A:   Recently apple cider vinegar has come into the limelight for being helpful as a health tonic. Apple cider vinegar has shown some benefits though more studies need to be done. The positive effects of apple cider vinegar are :
i) Apple cider vinegar may help lower glucose levels and thus may benefit patients with diabetes.
ii) A study in rats has shown evidence that vinegar could lower cholesterol. Another study also found that vinegar could lower high blood pressure. People who took a vinegar in their salads have been found to have a lower risk of heart disease.
iii) A few laboratory studies have found that vinegar may be able to kill cancer cells or slow their growth.
iv) Apple cider vinegar may also help with weight loss
There is no concrete evidence that apple cider vinegar is beneficial and even less information on the appropriate dosages. Largely people take two teaspoons a day mixed in a glass of water or juice.
Higher dosages of apple cider vinegar may cause lowering of potassium levels in the body. If you already have low potassium or osteoporosis, talk to your doctor before using apple cider vinegar. Apple cider vinegar may also theoretically interact with drugs such as diuretics and medications for diabetes and heart disease. Apple cider vinegar also has chromium, which can alter insulin levels, thus must be used with caution in diabetic patients.