Application of hand sanitizers on genital prior to catheterizing.

Q: Hi, I catheterize myself 6-8 times a day. I go when I feel the need. I am paralyzed. I have been wiping the tip of my penis off with tissue. I have seen that soap and water work best. However this is difficult in some situations. Can I use hand sanitizer on a tissue to achieve the same cleansing goal? Are there issues with hand sanitizer and a sensitive area like the penis that I am not considering? Any input on this matter would be appreciated. Thank you.

A:   Hand sanitizers contain ethyl alcohol which is a potential skin irritant. When applied to the penis it may cause severe irritation, inflammation and swelling of the penile and urethral mucosa. I would strongly advise you not to use hand sanitizer on your genitals.