Appropriate to use Panadol in this situation?

Patient

Q: Hello Doctors: My name is Yamin and I am a RN. I am currently working in a aged care facility and I have met an emergency situation that needs to be clarified. I am really appreciate if you can help me. A few weeks ago, one of the kitchen staff fell on the facility kitchen floor on prone position, she had lots of pain to L shoulder and she was able to sit up with assistance after initial check up delivered. Also, I couldn't detect any signs of shoulder dislocation & she was able to gently move the shoulder but still C/O lots of pain. We suggested her to go to hospital for further investigation. I asked her if she want to take any Panadol for the temporary pain relief before she was taken to hospital but this was stopped by the clinical manager and I was told not to do this due to Nothing By Mouth issue if she needed to undergo any surgery.

From my own experience and many articles, I know it's OK to give clear fluids 2 hours prior to the surgery and you know, Panadol would dissolve in the water with no time. Plus the whole waiting time for the surgery ( if she really needed), there shouldn't be any big issue for this. Also I read some of the emgergency clinical guidelines show that pain management won't prevent the diagnosis of the conditions/injuries. Plus I remember when I did my clinical placement in some wards, patients still take necessary oral medicaition in the AM prior to their surgery.

I really looking forward to your opinion regards the Panadol issue in the scenario. Thank you very much.

Kind regards,

Yamin

Doctor