Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Approximately 4-5 weeks ago I began having the signs of UTI

Approximately 4-5 weeks ago I began having the signs of UTI

Patient: Approximately 4-5 weeks ago I began having the signs of a urinary tract infection (UTI). It started off as painful urination, urgency to urinate, fever, lower back pain, and stomach pain. I’ve never had a UTI before so I decided to see if it would pass naturally. After taking AZO cranberry pills for 2 weeks a few symptoms went away but it was still painful to urinate and I felt like I needed to urinate often. I went to my family doctor for testing and it was confirmed that I had a UTI. I was given an antibiotic (Bactrum?) for 3 days. After this period of time the symptoms had not gone away so I was prescribed another antibiotic, this time for 7 days (started with an s.. Not sure the exact name/brand). After this second cycle I still felt like my symptoms had not passed. I went back to my doctor who took a urine sample, sent it off to the lab and it came back clear, no UTI. They suggested that I go see my gynocologist. I am still having painful (not necessarily burning) urination, though it is inconsistent (not painful the entire time I urinate and 1/5x doesnt hurt at all). I also still have pressure in my lower stomach which feels like an urgency to urinate. I am unsure that their reccomendation to go see my gynocologist appropriate? I’m assuming they think it is some sort of STD but if that is clear im unsure what my gynocologist could even do to help. The painful urination was NOT present prior to my UTI and therefore I would assume it is not an STD, rather something as a result of my UTI. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. What could this be/what should I do next/whom should I see (gynocologist, urologist,etc). Thank you.

Doctor: HiThank you for the question.This pain may be caused by your:- bladder- urethra (the tube that carries urine outside your body)- perineumThere are changes you can make in your lifestyle to eliminate episodes of painful urination. Some simple ones are to:- steer clear of scented laundry detergents and toiletries to reduce your risk of irritation- use condoms during sexual activity to keep yourself safe from sexually transmitted infections- modify your diet to eliminate food and drinks that irritate the bladder.It is better to make an appointment with Gynecologist and a Urologist. I hope this will help you.I wish you a speedy recovery.