Are Chills a symptom of Menopause?

Patient

Q: I am a 52 yr. old female and have just started experiencing hot flashes---no surprise. What is disconserting to me is that I have just started experiencing infrequent "chills" that radiate from my head down to my toes. I am healthy, active and haven"t experienced any diseases. I am currently taking a bio-identical HRT (250mg progesterone) and have been doing so for 2 yrs. I also take vitamens A-D, Calcium, Manesium, Krill oil capsules, Biotin and loe-dose asprin. Question: Are "Chills" part of mentopause?

Doctor

A:   The symptoms of menopause are characterised by multiple symptoms due to hormonal changes. The symptoms vary from woman to woman. The common symptoms of menopause include : hot flashes, night sweats, skin flushing, insomnia and tachycardia. The symptoms that you are experiencing (chills) could definitely be a part of the symptoms of menopause but will require further evaluation from your doctor. Blood test for hormone levels, thyroid levels and complete blood count will help determine the cause of the chills.