x
Browse
153 Physicians Online

Question:

Are closed MRSA lesions contagious??

I have a friend who has Mrsa. I was wondering if the red bumps are contagious if they are not open or bleeding, I know if they are open that they are.

Answer:

The infected person may shed the virus through direct skin to skin contact, sneezing, coughing and with sharing of the infected utensils. Thus you may receive infection even if the lesions are not open or bleeding. Make sure to avoid contact specially if you have any cut, abraded or open skin wound, as the bacteria may penetrate much faster than through intact skin. Frequent hand washing and disinfecting the shared objects are the best measures to prevent transmission.

Sign In to join in the conversation.

You’re in good hands, meet ATD’s founding physicians.

• Board Certified GP
  • CMO ATD Health Network Inc.
  • Adjunct Professor at U Of T

• Board Certified Plastic Surgeon
  • Director ATD Health Network Inc.
  • Fellowship Training Atlanta, GA