September 24, 2018

Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Are my sons seizures still Febrile seizures or something else?

Are my sons seizures still Febrile seizures or something else?

Patient: My son was diagnosed with Febrile seizures when he was 2, he is now 4. We have been to the hospital 3 times, seen our family doctor, a pediatrician and the neurologist twice and they all told me that Febrile seizures are caused by his body temperature going up due to a fever, and that fit with the first 4 seizures he had (he had a fever due to cold for them) but his last 2 he wasn’t sick, he didn’t have ANY temperature hike AT ALL. So my question is, is it still a febrile seizure when there is no difference in his normal temperature?? My son is starting school for the first time this year and it worries me A LOT that I can’t help him OR tell his teacher what to look for as a symptom, can you please help! Thank you!

Doctor: I know how worried you are about your son’s seizures; although febrile seizures may cause great fear and concern for par arents, most febrile seizures produce no lasting effects. Simple febrile seizures don’t cause brain damage, mental retardation or learning disabilities, and they don’t mean your child has a more serious underlying disorder.Febrile seizures also aren’t an indication of epilepsy, a tendency to have recurrent seizures caused by abnormal electrical signals in the brain. The odds that your child will develop epilepsy after a febrile seizure are small. But certainly a very small percentage of children with febrile seizures develop epilepsy. If you have noticed that his last episode were not related to fever, certainly an evaluation done by his pediatrician might be suggested since febrile seizures decrease after age 4.