Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Are My Symptoms & Indicator of a Sinus/Cold/Flu

Are My Symptoms & Indicator of a Sinus/Cold/Flu

Patient: Based on the below symptoms am I suffering with a sinus infection or the cold/flu?

Symptoms: I have the following symptom: running but stuffy nose, itchy eyes, pressure behind my eyes, one minute I’m very hot then the next I’m extremely cold, feeling a little lightheaded (off balance) and nauseous. Please advised as to what my dx maybe and what I can take over the counter. NOTE: I have not been prescribed any prescription medication; therefore I will not be mixing meds. Also, i am not allergic to any medication.
Thank you!

Doctor: Thank you for contacting ask the doctor. I am sorry for your suffering. you could be suffering from a viral or bacterial infection. the best way to visually differentiate would be to see the color of nasal discharge. A yellowish/greenish ting is a sign of a bacterial infection. Clear nasal discharge could be due to viral infection. it is essential to differentiate between the two as the treatment would depend on the cause of the infection. this could be a case of sinus infection which is usually triggered by inflammation of the nasal mucosa. in either of the case, I recommend a visit to a physician so he can differentiate between the viral, bacterial / fungal infections and make the correct diagnosis and start the required medications. please note that infections generally make one very weak and the lightheadedness may be due to the weakness. Please try to maintain a good healthy diet as much as possible. It would not be a good idea to prescribe you medications without a proper diagnosis hence a visit to the physician is prudent.Hope this information was useful.