Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Are Pre-natal Vitamins Safe if not Pregnant

Are Pre-natal Vitamins Safe if not Pregnant

Patient: Hello, I was wondering, is it safe for me to take pre-natal vitamins if I am not pregnant or breastfeeding? If so, how long can I take them safely? We do plan on beginning to try for our 2nd child with-in the next year. Thanks!

Doctor: Hello, I don’t see any problems in taking pre natal vitamins when you are not pregnant.Certainly they are recommended d to be taken up to 3 months before conceiving in a way to prepare for the pregnancy but there should not be any problems if you take them for a long time before since your kidneys will get rid of the excess of vitamins and minerals.On the other hand, a good natural source of vitamins and minerals are vegetables and fruits, I will also suggest you to drink plenty of water. I wish you the best.