Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Are prenatal vitamins + dha safe for my baby

Are prenatal vitamins + dha safe for my baby

Patient: I’m 6 weeks pregnant and I started taking prenatal vitamins + dha, are there any side effects I should be worried about for my baby?

Symptoms: N/A

Doctor: Hello,Thanks for the query.Yes, the prenatal vitamins and DHA are safe in early pregnancy and can be continued to be taken as long as 3 months of conception and even beyond as recommended by the treating doctor. they help in brain maturation and prevent neural tube defects in the baby and help the brain grow normally.There is no problem in taking them now at 6 weeks of your pregnancy and, in fact, can be taken during lactation as wellHope this helped.Wish you a safe pregnancy.Regards