Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Are smoking and stress causing me to lose weight?

Are smoking and stress causing me to lose weight?

Patient: I’ve been noticing that I’ve been losing weight quickly, with an onset of sunken face syndrome while I’m only in my mid twenties. I use an electronic cigarette most of the day to help cope with a stressful work environment.. Could this weight loss be due to the nicotine intake, stress, or both?

Doctor: HelloThanks for using “Ask The Doctor” to post your query.Weight loss can be due to stress or nicotine. It’s difficu lt to pinpoint the exact reason. In fact, nicotine intake per say increases with the stress and stress increases the nicotine intake. They are all inter-related.I would advise you to cut down on smoking and also get some lifestyle changes done like regular exercises and eating healthy food and regularizing sleep cycle.Bupropion is a good drug for nicotine dependence. It reduces the craving and the rest of the craving can be controlled with nicotine replacement therapy. Talk to your Doctor to get this medication.Hope this helps,Wish you a good health.