Are there specialist surgeons for reattaching muscles?

Q: I had my left hip revised 15 months ago. Ever since I have had a hard, protruding lump on the front area of my hip. My orthopedic surgeon didn't know what it was so I saw a plastic surgeon and it is a muscle that has detached from my pelvic bone. He was pessimistic about the chances of reattaching it or removing it. It distresses me as I am still young and I don't look symmetrical. I am limited in the clothes I can wear. Is this type of work always carried out by plastic surgeons or are there other specialist surgeons for this type of operation? Thanks. Wende

A:   Such a procedure can be performed by a orthopedic surgeon as well. However, I understand your plastic surgeon's pessimism in attempting to correct the problem. You have had a number of surgeries which means that there is considerable scar tissue around your hip joint. This makes it extremely difficult get a desirable outcome should another procedure be attempted. You may speak with another plastic or orthopedic surgeon but I a afraid it may be difficult to find a surgeon will to attempt the surgery you desire. i am sorry i do not have better news. Best of luck!