Are These Alcohol Withdrawal Symptoms?

Patient

Q: My boyfriend will have episodes where he gets in these moods and he will kinda act drunk but he's not drinking (he is a recoving alcholic) and he will walk and like bump into things and he will rub his eyes almost like they are blurry and if you let him sleep in about 4 or 5 hours he will be back to normal but then he doesnt remember anything that happened in that time fram and during the episode he will talk to you and know things so its not like he's out of it I was wondering if it would be a case of depression where he is a recovering alcholic and also his daughter he raised since she was 2 has moved with her mother and doesnt have much to do with him anymore so anyu suggestions you can give as to what might be happening would be great

Doctor

A:   The description of the symptoms suggests withdrawal symptoms of the alcohol. Once a person stops taking alcohol after a prolonged period of heavy drinking, the body will crave alcohol leading to withdrawal symptoms like emotional changes, reduced sleep, confusion, excitement, nervousness. irritable, depression, inability to think clearly, tremors of the hands, abnormal movements, loss of appetite, anxiety, nausea, vomiting etc., and in severe cases convulsions, delirium tremens, black outs, hallucinations or extreme anxiety may also occur.
Your boyfriend needs to see his family doctor for an assessment of the severity of the withdrawal symptoms and its management and to prevent complications.

The description of the symptoms suggests withdrawal symptoms of the alcohol. Once a person stops taking alcohol after a prolonged period of heavy drinking, the body will crave alcohol leading to withdrawal symptoms like emotional changes, reduced sleep, confusion, excitement, nervousness. irritable, depression, inability to think clearly, tremors of the hands, abnormal movements, loss of appetite, anxiety, nausea, vomiting etc., and in severe cases convulsions, delirium tremens, black outs, hallucinations or extreme anxiety may also occur.