Are These Signs of Depression?

Q: Do you have any idea why i am tired all of the time, i always have headaches, always feel sick in my stomach and i never feel like doing anything i used to love. I never use to feel like this but now i have felt like this for a few months. My sleeping pattern is all mixed up as i be tired all day and have no push to do anything but when i go to bed i am wide awake and restless. I have gained a lot of weight during this time and my sex drive is lowered. My family has a distant history of depression. What do you think is wrong with me? Sorry For Waffling On.

A:   I can understand your concern regarding your symptoms. A family history of depression is the strongest risk factor fordepression. I would recommend that you see your health care practitioner for a history and physical exam to ensure your symptoms are not better explained by other medical conditions such as hypothyroidism. Depression is a condition which occurs due to imbalance of various chemical substances in our body. The signs of depression may be as follows :

Low mood
Presence of guilt.
Decreased appetite
Decreased sleep with early morning awakening or increased sleep
Loss of interest in activities that usually used to interest individual
Low energy, pyshcomotor retardation ( slowing of physical movements and mental thinking process)
Decreased concentration, suicide ideations etc

Depression is a curable condition and one may need pyshcotherapy along with medication, relaxation therapy and counselling.