Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Are these spider angiomas? Does this mean I have cirrhosis?

Are these spider angiomas? Does this mean I have cirrhosis?

Patient: Are these spider angiomas? Does this mean I have cirrhosis? I have 6 of these on 1 upper arm, 1 near my wrist and maybe 1 on the other arm. I’m 26. 2 of them have been on my arm for at least a year, I’m not sure about the others.

Symptoms: Red spots on arm, white spots on arms and legs look like loss of pigment.

Are these spider angiomas? ...-1

Doctor: Hello,Thank you for your query at AskTheDoctor.comI understand your concern.No, these look like depigmented spots and not the characteristic spider angiomas associated with liver cirrhosis. Moreover, the age group mentioned by you is not at all prone for cirrhosis.I will like to know in the follow-up if you have a history of drinking. If so, how many drinks per day and any previous liver or gastric issues.This will help me assess your situation better.Hope this was helpful,Regards.

Patient: Hi, thank you. The red spots look like depigmentation? I’ve always had mottled skin, but I’m worried about the red spots. I had a drinking problem from 18-20 and drank heavily for about 2 years. The last 6 years I haven’t drank much, maybe 6 beers every few months. No previous liver or gastric issues.

Doctor: Hello,
Thank you for the follow-up.
You only have a brief exposure history to alcohol, and provided you don’t drink heavily anymore, there is no need of concern for liver cirrhosis.
I will also advise you to get a complete blood count done to rule out petechiae, as a result of platelet deficiency.
Regards.