Are thick brown discharges a side effect of contraceptives?

Patient

Q: Hi i am on contraceptive called depo during the 1st 3 months of the injection i was fine but now i am getting thick brown discharge blood lyk before my periods should i be worried?

Doctor

A:   In the first 3 months of initiation of contraceptive use, menstrual irregularities and unusual discharges are common. If the discharges are not bad-smelling, there is very little need to worry. Some women on depo can adjust after the 2nd or 3rd shot. You may observe this first but you may also mention it to a doctor or your OB on the next visit. Since you are sexually active, always remember to have regular Pap tests too. I hope this helps.