Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Are trigger point injections safe in pregnancy?

Are trigger point injections safe in pregnancy?

Patient: Are trigger point injections safe in pregnancy? I have severe sciatica due to a degenerative joint at L5&S1. My disc is also bulging. I am seeing a chiropractor but the pain in my right buttock is so severe at times I cannot stand up. I’ve had trigger point injections in my shoulder blade before and it was simple. Can I just get trigger point injections in my buttock and not the SI joint that requires x-ray? Would it be safe? I’ve had 2 spinal blocks that worked great but I can’t have those while pregnant. Flexeril 10mg provides very little relief. I’ve seen the chiropractor 4 times in the past 7 days and the massage therapist 2 times in the past 7 days. I’ve had no relief. My OBGYN called in an Rx for physical therapy which I plan to start next week. But I feel like I really need to get this under control. It’s so incredibly painful.

Symptoms: Severe sciatica

Doctor: Hello,If you have crossed your first trimester and into your second trimester already then the chances of any congeni tal anomalies due to unsafe medications are ruled out now. The fetal organs have grown by now. However, it is safe to use trigger point injections in case of severe sciatica and L5 -S1 degenerative disease as it contains and analgesic and steroid and infiltrated in minimal quantity but offers sustained relief. Such blocks can be used if pain is unbearable and if paracetamol Intravenous infusions are unable to provide relief o the situation.You may however discuss the possibility with your treating physician as this technique in pregnancy is not very popular and generally physiotherapy and infrared treatment or wax bath is prescribed for an alleviation of pain.I hope I have answered your query in detail,wishing you good health,regards