Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Arm injury and possible internal damage

Arm injury and possible internal damage

Patient: About half a year ago in may or june in gym class, i took a pretty hard hit to my right arm with a hard plastic stick. My arm went numb and i couldnt close my hand for about 10 minutes or so. Bringing it to now, theres still a distinctive bump on my arm where i got hit, and i used to be able to hold my arms up against eachother and bend my hands back to make almost a T where my hands were the top part and were almost horizontal, now my right hand can barely reach a little past 90 degrees. Holding them up nect to eachother it makes it look like my hands are making an obtuse angle. It doesnt hurt but im thinking there may be some sort of internal damage.EDIT:I apologizeI mean 45 degrees. Not 90 degrees.EDIT:I apologizeI mean 45 degrees. Not 90 degrees.

Doctor: Hello,Thanks for choosing “Ask the Doctor” for posting your query.I understand that you were hit on your right shoul der 6 months back which is causing restriction of your movements. Primarily, you should always rule out fracture which can present with the mentioned symptoms and sometimes pain may not be an essential symptom. The best part if that it can be diagnosable by doing a simple X-ray. Further, there is also a possibility of a frozen shoulder that sometimes follows an injury or rotator cuff tear as these conditions are not always painful as in your case. We suggest that you consult your doctor and get an X-ray of the shoulder done. Further, if the x-ray comes normal, then physiotherapy services can be initiated by your treating doctor.Hope I am able to answer your concerns.If you have any further query, I would be glad to help you in future.Wish you good health!