Arm tingling and burning after car accident with back pain

Patient

Q: About a year and a half ago I was in a car accident that causes 2 ruptured discs in my neck, and a torn rotator cuff; which I was told would need surgery to heal fully. This past saturday night I was in a car accident and the entire upper part of the same arm is bruised from my elbow to shoulder. My back between my shoulder blades hurt. I went to the ER and they seemed to rush me out of there. Took Xrays of my arm and elbow; no bones broken and sent me on my way. Since the wreck my finger have been tingling which I told them and they said it was probably due to bruising. Tonight my upper arm feels like its burning from the inside and my whole arm is tingling down to my fingers. The middle of my back hurts a little worse as well. What could this be and should I see an Dr immediately? I am a single mother alone with a 3 yr old so would really hate to make a trip to the ER this late at night unless immediate attention is required.

Symptoms:  Tingling arm and fingers, burning sensation, middle back hurting
Doctor

A:   Hi
Thank you for the question,
Bruises take time to heal. They nearly need 3-12 weeks depending on the injury. Here are a few home remedies:
- Apply an ice pack on the bruised area. This will numb the whole area and you won’t feel pain for several minutes.
- Take fresh comfrey leaves and make a fine paste. Apply it on the bruise and leave it till it dries. Then, apply the second layer on it. Let it dry and after that, wash it off with lukewarm water.
- Cabbage can help in healing the bruise, as well as reducing the swelling. Apply macerated leaves of cabbage to accelerate the healing process.

If you do not feel better after 5-6 days, talk to your Doctor. I hope this will help you. I wish you a speedy recovery.