Arousal headache

Patient

Q: Trying to figure out why I have major headache after ejaculating

Symptoms:  Severe headache
Doctor

A:   Thank you for your question. Arousal headaches are also referred to as post-coital or orgasmic headaches. It is a very peculiar phenomenon to which the medical community has yet come to a conclusion on an exact cause of this. One widely circulating theory is that these headaches, which occur in men more than women, are caused by the sudden rise in blood pressure at the time of orgasm. If you have a history of migraines, this may put you at an increased susceptibility for these types of headaches.

Thank you for choosing Askthedoctor.com