As of Monday I was 52 weeks pregnant and on

Q: As of Monday I was 5.2 weeks pregnant and on the ultrasound we saw the gestational sack but no yolk sac yet. My HCG levels that day were 2768. Now my doctor is telling me that we should of seen the fetal pole by now. And that we need to make some decisions. I go back on Monday for another ultrasound, this was already scheduled on Monday. Do I really need to worry when its only 5.2 along?? Why am I being told I need to make decisions on to have a d&C or to take the shot to miscarry.

Thanks for the query to ATD,

Well at 5.2 weeks of gestational age, generally foetal pole is seen on transvaginal ultrasound, but there are cases of delayed conception when the foetal pole arrives late. At HCG levels beyond 2500, it is still recommended that you may wait for 2 more weeks to check if the foetal pole and heart beat arrives because if it doesn't by 7th week then it would not arrive and it is then a chemical pregnancy or Anembryonic gestation which shall warrant a D& C removal of the pregnancy. You may even start experiencing a bleed naturally in an attempt by the nature to extrude the pregnancy naturally if the pregnancy is not viable.
Another way to confirm viability is to opt for serial beta hCG monitoring 48 hrs apart. If there is a rise of more than 65% in the next value then the pregnancy is viable else it's a failed pregnancy.

I hope I have answered your query in detail,
Wishing you good health,