x
184 Physicians Online

Question:

Ascites in Advanced Cervical Cancer

I had my cervix and 2 lymph nodes removed due to cervical cancer on 3/25/10, i was having severe pain in my back and abdomen a week following the surgery, there was a build up of fluid in my abdomen, they put a drain tube in my stomach and decided it was lyphatic fluid, on 4/2/10. I still have the drain in and im draining about 1000ml a day, which i feel is alot. is this normal?

Answer:

It seems that you may have advanced cervical cancer which has spread abdomen. This is the cause of the fluid accumulating in the abdomen. There is really no “normal” amount if fluid that should be drained per day. 1000 ml/day is a lot of fluid and unfortunately I do not think the drainage will decrease over time as the cause of the fluid cannot be addressed by surgery.

Have a Question? Ask The Doctor Here.

Sign In to join in the conversation.

You’re in good hands, meet ATD’s founding physicians.

• Board Certified GP
  • CMO ATD Health Network Inc.
  • Adjunct Professor at U Of T

• Board Certified Plastic Surgeon
  • Director ATD Health Network Inc.
  • Fellowship Training Atlanta, GA