Asking about a1c levels for diabetics.

Patient

Q: Is 12.3 high for a1c test?thats what mine is.

Symptoms:  Tingling in head and severe foot and stomach pain and also loosing weight rapidy.
Doctor

A:   Thank you for your question. Hemoglobin A1C is also referred to a glycosylated hemoglobin. When there are excessive amounts of glucose circulating within the body, they attach to the surface of red blood cells. This can be quantitatively measured as an index of the progress of treatment of your diabetes over the last three months. The normal hemoglobin A1C levels in patients without diabetes should be between 4-6%. In diabetic patients, this value is over 6.5%. In general, the closer the value is to the normal range the better the progress of treatment of your diabetes is. A HbA1c of 12.3% is very high, and is indicative of uncontrolled diabetes management over the last three months. This can put you at increased risk of peripheral neuropathy (nerve damage to the extremities), loss of vision, and kidney failure. We recommend that you follow up with your doctor to determine what adjustments in your medication, insulin dosage, or body weight, and diet need to be made to lower your HbA1c.

Thank you for choosing Askthedoctor.com