Aspirin for Flu risk for Reyes Syndrome?

Q: Hello. I'm seventeen years old and I have either the cold or flu. I recently took an excedrin aspirin that had 250mg of aspirin in it. I sliced the tablet in half though and only took that half. I didn't know to not take aspirin for risk of Reye's syndrome.Should I be worried and concerned and will I get it now?

Symptoms:  Headache,sore throat,fatigue

Thanks for choosing "Ask The Doctor" for posting your query.
Reyes syndrome doesn't occur commonly and it doesn't affect everyone who has taken aspirin with a viral illness. More so, the illness is more common among the children and ones you are past 13 years the chances of you developing Reye's syndrome is very rare.
Keep a watch for rashes or vomiting and if develop them, report to the doctor immediately. Otherwise, there is nothing much to worry and have plenty of water.
Hope I am able to answer your concerns.

Wish you good health!