ASTHMA AND ANABOLIC STEROIDS

Patient

Q: I've had asthma my whole life. I take my symbicort and bricanyl inhalers every morning and night. My question is: would it be safe for someone with my asthma to take a cycle of oral Winstrol aka Stanozolol (anabolic steroid)?

Doctor

A:    The steroids used to treat asthma are “glucocorticoids” and they are very similar to the cortisol produced in the adrenal glands, they act on the immune system blocking production of certain substances that trigger allergic and inflammatory responses. Anabolic steroids refer to hormones that are either taken orally or by injection that influence the body's hormonal system to produce extra testosterone. On the other hand, Anabolic refers to muscle-building capability. The goal of taking anabolic steroids, which are basically sexual hormones, is to increase muscle mass. This kind of steroid do not have beneficial effect against asthma or any condition that require anti inflammatory effect. The use of anabolic steroids suppresses the naturally occurring testosterone in the body and, in males, may lead to a decrease in testicle size (atrophy), decreased sperm production, nfertility, and baldness. As well, the excess of anabolic steroid can be converted to estrogen in males and may lead to enlarged breasts (known as gynecomastia). Liver damage may often occur, and liver cancer is a risk. Psychiatric effects of steroids include excitation and depression. Aggression is common. Manic episodes of aggressive behavior are known as "roid rage," and violence may be the outcome. Depression and suicide may also occur.