Asthma and Travelling

Patient

Q: Hi Doc, I am having asthma from the age of 8 and still having asthma and taking budamate inhaler as suggested by doc.I keep travelling weekends to my hometown.Will travelling effects asthma allergy??

Doctor

A:   About 80% cases of asthma have allergy and in most of them, environmental allergens like pollens, molds, dusts, dust mites, animal dander, etc. play a big role in the causation and progress of the disease process. You need to first know the cause of your allergy to be able to take appropriate avoidance measures. Unless you get exposed to your specific allergens while travelling, it will not effect your asthma or allergy. You may consult an Allergy Specialist to identify the cause of your allergy and plan specific therapy.