Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Asthma and tuberculosis

Asthma and tuberculosis

Patient: I am 18 year old girl currently living with my husband in korea he is in the army i was dianosed with cronix asthma when i was 3 i have been exposed to tuberculosis through a co worker i worked there about 6 to 8 weeks every day for about 7 hrs a day if i test positive for TB how will it effect my asthma i am on 3 diffrent medacations 2 preventitive steroides one pill and one inhalor and one resue inhalor i am going and getting tested on june 3 will it make my asthma worse

Doctor: I understand how concerned you are about TB exposure. Tuberculosis is a potentially serious infectious disease that prim arily affects your lungs, spread from person to person through tiny droplets released into the air. Most people who become infected with the bacteria that cause tuberculosis don’t develop symptoms of the disease. People might have the bacteria in their bodies; however they won’t develop any symptom unless their immune system is compromised. In other words, testing Tuberculin a positive tuberculin reaction only means that you were exposed to the bacteria, it DOES NOT mean that you have an infection in your lungs.There is no relation documented between Asthma and TB, however it would be better to avoid having secretions that might favor the Bacteria to install in your lungs. I wish you the best.