Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Asthma and very bad cough

Asthma and very bad cough

Patient: I have asthma I am 20 and have had it since I was about two. I have an inhaler as well as albuterol nebulizer treatments. I have been experiencing a very bad dry cough for a little over a week. The cough is becoming painful and making my asthma act up. I have been taking my albuterol treatments once or twice a day to help produce phlegm but it doesn’t seem to be getting better. What could it be ?

Symptoms: Coughing, minor throat pain(from coughing)

Doctor: Thank you for contacting ask the doctor.There is a possibility that it might be a cough-variant asthma. The symptoms i n this type of asthma is not classic asthma symptoms but dry non productive cough. It is very common among those with a history of childhood asthma, as in your case. This may flare up when exposed to the allergens or cold air. The coughing may be directly either due to bronchitis or due to post nasal drip. I recommend a visit to the physician for a definite diagnosis. Treatments may involve the use to albuterol, ipratropium, and addition of steroids if required. In your case, after the physician has done a complete check up, he may decide to add a few more medications to your original regimen of Albuterol.Hope this information was useful.