Asthma attack for over a year

Patient

Q: Hello. My question about asthma is for my motther. sShe is a 60 year old woman that used to be extremely active. She has always had asthma, but never really had to use a recuse inhaler or any other drugs to control it. Last year she came down with pneumonia and this is when it all started. To sum up her symptoms, she has been in an asthma attack for over a year. Walking out in the cold brings on an attack, walking at a noraml pace, moving from room to room. She is to the point where just trying to wash dishes brings on an asthma attack because of the smell of dish soap. She has had mulitple tests done over the last few months and has just started Xoliar injections. My mother was a very strong woman and could do anyhitn g physical. Her body is weaking so badly becuase of physcial induced asthma attacks. The only thing that gives her any chance at a normal life is steriods. Do you have nay ideas what could possible help her or something they doctors may be missing.

Doctor

A:   If the cough and breathing problems do not respond to asthma medications, this may be a sign that other conditions should be investigated. Cardiovascular disorders may coexist along with asthma, which further complicates the diagnosis. It can sometimes be difficult to distinguish one from the other, since some of the symptoms of asthma and certain heart conditions may be similar, such as fatigue, an increasing non-productive cough, difficulty breathing, heart palpitations or ankle swelling. If you could determine the allergens to which she has become sensitized, and then taking steps to minimize her exposure to them, it may likely improve her asthma control.

If the cough and breathing problems do not respond to asthma medications, this may be a sign that other conditions should be investigated. Cardiovascular disorders may coexist along with asthma, which further complicates the diagnosis. It can sometimes be difficult to distinguish one from the other, since some of the symptoms of asthma and certain heart conditions may be similar, such as fatigue, an increasing non-productive cough, difficulty breathing, heart palpitations or ankle swelling. If you could determine the allergens to which she has become sensitized, and then taking steps to minimize her exposure to them, it may likely improve her asthma control.