Asthma in a child

Patient

Q: Hi, well we have a 2 year old boy who has been having breathing problems since birth. We can't detirmine what is causing it and since he's a young guy, the doctors here say it's too soon to diagnose him with asthma. Our son was rushed into the hospital a week ago on mothers day, and his lips were blue. they have him on a nebulizer now with medicine but i haven't noticed much difference than we got with the orange and blue puffers. My question is this in a nutshell. It's the terrible two's right now and i'm trying the whole dicipline thing, but anytime he cries or gets excited, he has an asthma attack. I don't know what to do. If he has fun, like on his birthday, he has an asthma attack. It's scary and frustrating at the same time, i feel helpless. Thanks for any tips or advice in advance.

Doctor

A:   I comprehend how concerned you are about your child’s condition. I agree with your child’s Pediatrician about asthma which cannot be diagnosed until your baby is at least two years of age, because there are other illnesses like bronchitis that leads to wheezing. Some younger children who cough or wheeze a lot can be treated by using asthma drugs, which can ease the symptoms.
Now according to your medical history, you mentioned that your baby also has Eczema; this condition is related to asthma which is also a type of allergy and certainly would increase the chances of your child being atopic. Atopy is a tendency to develop the classic allergic diseases such as eczema, dermatitis and asthma. These patients react to allergens such as pollen, dust, wool, soy, heavy exercise as well as others.
I would suggest you to avoid exposing your child to allergens and comply with his medications and follow up evaluations. In the majority of cases most of the children with early symptoms of asthma improve once they reach school age. I would also suggest you to ask your Pediatrician to evaluate his heart and lungs in the near future. I wish him a prompt recovery.