Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Asthma or upper respiratory infection

Asthma or upper respiratory infection

Patient: I have asthma and lately my puffers are not really doing the trick.( I take Advair 2 puffs twicw daily of the diskus as well as Ventalin 2 puffs qid prn) For the last couple of days I have been SOBOE and am coughing up pghlem usually just clear but the last few times it has had some blood in it. Sitting in the bathroom with the hot water running seems to help as well as drinking caffeine and vitamin c. I have a prescription for cephalex 500 mg 2 tabs qid, will this help, or should the dosage change at all? thanks

Doctor: Coughing up clear phlegm rules out any infection, and asthma as such does not cause bloody sputum. So in my opinion you may not need the antibiotic treatment at this time. However you may want to get your throat examined by your family doctor for any thrush infection. Since you have been on Advair inhaler, that contains two active drugs salmeterol – a bronchodilator and fluticasone – a corticosteroid which may increase the risk for thrush infection. Gargling with water after each use of the inhaler would help prevent thrush of the mouth and throat.Coughing up clear phlegm rules out any infection, and asthma as such does not cause bloody sputum. So in my opinion you may not need the antibiotic treatment at this time. However you may want to get your throat examined by your family doctor for any thrush infection. Since you have been on Advair inhaler, that contains two active drugs salmeterol – a bronchodilator and fluticasone – a corticosteroid which may increase the risk for thrush infection. Gargling with water after each use of the inhaler would help prevent thrush of the mouth and throat.