Asthma treatment options defined by symptom category

Patient

Q: I herd that steam works but is there anything that works like a broncal dialateor?

Doctor

A:   The use of steam may have beneficial effects on your asthma symptoms, however there is no scientific evidence to support this. For mild intermittent asthma symptoms there is evidence supporting the use of a short acting beta agonist such as salbutamol or albuterol, taken as needed for relief of symptoms. If your asthma is categorized as mild persistent asthma, the next step is initiation of a daily long-term controller medication in the form of a low dose inhaled glucocorticoid (steroid), in addition to a short acting beta agonist.I would recommend regular monitoring of your peak flow measurements and attending your family doctor or respirologist to categorise your asthma symptoms and outline the best treatment options in your case.