Asthmatic with weight loss and chronic cough what it can be?

Patient

Q: Hi! My husband is an Asthmatic since 3yrs and takes Serflo 250mg everyday. Past 1 month I've observed weight loss, increased fatigue , increased instances of wheezing, sore throat and chronic cough and cold .
He has itching watery red eyes. What it can be?

Doctor

A:   In a known case of Bronchial Asthma, wheezing and chronic cough, are signs that should not be ignored. Your husband needs urgent medical attention in terms of further evaluation (to rule out Acute Bronchitis or Pneumonitis) and revision of his ongoing therapy, by a Chest Physician. His loss of weight could be due to an underlying infection and increased fatigue is a result of poor state of his pulmonary ventilation. Since almost 80% cases of Bronchial Asthma are due to allergies, itching and watery red eyes are an extended manifestation of the same disorder. These symptoms would also improve with the anti-histaminic therapy that would be part of his multi-drug regimen for Asthma. So, see a doctor today!!