Ask The Doctor > Pending > At a loss of what to do next

At a loss of what to do next

Patient: I’m 28 years old and 11 weeks post partum with my second child. I’ve always had abdominal pain that would come and go when I was 11 and 17 I had EGDs and ERCPs and was told I’d need my gallbladder removed but never did. I am a gastric bypass patient… Almost 4 years out and lost 126lbs and everything was fine till about a year ago. I ended up with peptic ulcers even though I stay away from smoke alcohol and nsaids, then I had an emergency exploratory lap thinking it was my gallbladder but ended up with hernia repair that was twisting off my intestines. Ever since I have had constant RUQ pain that stays in my ribs and back no matter what I eat. I have given up dairy and gluten as well. But despite what I eat I’m always tender and get these constant abdominal spasms and end up in ER to get hydrated. I’ve spoken to my primary about testing for prophyria HCP since I have 5 people on my moms side with it but haven’t gotten anywhere on that. In the meantime I’ve had multiple ultrasounds CT scans EGDS two MRCPs and a small bowel series and hidda scan without any answers other than being yelled at by my primary for being anemic and malabsorbed (kinda hard to eat when it hurts or ur constantly throwing up). I’m honestly at a loss of what to do I force myself to eat to stay nourished to nurse my newborn but it hurts and I feel bloated or gassy or run to the bathroom. I’m running out of theories and I’m frustrated because I know there is something wrong . It’s embarrassing constantly being sick or the fact that I work in an ER and half the physicians have examined me and half my coworkers have started IVs on me or attempted to since my veins are crap as we’ll. I don’t know what all it could be I just want an answer or a suggestion of what to try because I miss having my normal life and feel horrible for my husband and children because I’m always sick or unpleasant because I’m afraid to eat please someone help.



Symptoms: RUQ pain
Tenderness on ribs
Back and shoulder pain
Bloated and gassy





Ask The Doctor
    Ask The Doctor
Dr. Suneel Sharman M.D.

Dr. Suneel Sharman M.D.

Dr. Suneel Sharman completed his residency in Family Medicine at the University of Toronto. He currently operates Infinity Health Centre, a walk-in-clinic in downtown Toronto.

Book Appointment