Athlete, 19 , Severe lower back pain. Please help

Patient

Q: My lower back is in shooting pain whenever I lie down, I am an athlete and it seems to be getting worse. I have iced, taken advil and stretched it and nothing seems to help. Could i have a herniated disk.

Symptoms:  Sharp pain in lower back when in all positions
Doctor

A:   Thank you for your question. Your lower back pain could be due muscle strains, or indeed a herniated disc. Given the fact that you are compete athletically, it is possible you sustained this injury while playing. We recommend that you refrain from strenuous physical activity and heavy lifting. Please go to your doctor immediately to start a complete evaluation of your lower back injury. You will need to have x ray and MRI imaging conducted of your back in order to determine the severity of the injury as well as to determine if you have a herniated intervertebral disc. Please see your doctor.

Thank you for consulting AskTheDoctor.com