Autistic or Aspergers and depression.

Patient

Q: My 22 year old daughter has Tuberous Sclerosis Complex. She has some mental deficit in my opinion and is autistic to a degree. She is very depressed and it stems from living with her mother and her boyfriend and other things. She needs help (perhaps medication) for her depression but she also needs someone to talk to in the psychological field. I am going to get her a neuropsychological testing and also try to get her government financial assistance for her bills and lack of apparent ability to work. She has social deficits and poor executive skills. Can neuropsychologist take care of all these issues?? Or do I need to take her to a psychologist or psychiatrist or both?

Symptoms:  Depression--brain, kidney, skin, eye tumors and more. (TSC)
Doctor

Thanks for using "Ask The Doctor" for posting your query.
You have mentioned that she has tuberous sclerosis with some autistic traits and probably has depression as well. Treatment of depression takes more time than usual if accompanied with autistic traits. She will need treatment form a psychiatrist as well psychologist. Psychiatrist will deal with medicines and psychologist will help her with the therapies.
Hope this helps,
Wish you a good health.