Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Available Herpes Testing

Available Herpes Testing

Patient: Someone told me that I might have herpes. What tests are out there to help me find out if I have herpes or not? My partner that I had sex with a few weeks ago said she has it.

Doctor: I get this question a lot. There are a few things to understand about herpes before we can discuss testing.Firstly, he rpes is a sexually transmitted infection and the only way to really acquire it is through sexual activity.  There is no consistent pattern to when the lesions may appear.  They may appear a few days after sexual activity or they may appear after many years.While there are blood tests available to see if you have been exposed to the herpes virus, they are not as acurate as we would like.  The best way to confirm a diagnosis is still to have a qualified doctor examine the genital lesions.I hope this helps.