Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Average BP and heart rate

Average BP and heart rate

Patient: I am an 18 year old female, 5’3″, and weigh 136 lbs. I currently have a blood pressure of 100 over 67, and my bpm is 100. I was just wondering if this is normal? Thanks

Doctor: Average blood pressure is 120/80 , therefore your reading of 100/67 is lower than average but is still within the normal range. An average resting heart rate is 72 beats per minute, and a heart rate of >100 beats per minute is known as a tachycardia. Therefore your heart rate is a borderline tachycardia. Many factors affect your heart rate including exercise, stress, anxiety, hormones, fever or infection. I would advise measuring your heart rate on several other occasions while at rest, and if it is consistently elevated, seek further medical advice from your family doctor.