Avoding lose motion in a month old baby

Patient

Q: Hi, This is Niranjan, 27 year old. Question: i have a month old baby and he is suffering from diarrhea (lose motion) from past 2 days. Right now i am giving Nor-metrogyl 1ml 2 times a day. diarrhea is not coming under control. Please let me know what i can do next? is Nor-metrogyl is safe for a month old baby?

Doctor

A:   I understand your concern. Diarrhea is very common in infants and most likely is caused by a viral infection. Usually we don’t prefer to give patients of this age anti-diarrhea medications since her body would regulate by itself. However I would definitely suggest you to watch for Dehydration which is a serious complication. Watch for signs of Decreased urination like fewer wet infant diapers than usual in a 24 hour period, Infant has dry eyes and crying with few tears or no tears, High fever, sunken abdomen, Infant is less active than usual. If any of these symptoms are noted seek immediate attention.