Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Azo same as pyridium?

Azo same as pyridium?

Patient: I have recurrent Uti’s and have just begun taking antibiotics and the over the counter drug AZO. Is AZO the same as pyridium? I was told it is not and that I should ask the doctor for pyridium. If this is true – can I increase the azo dosage? Thanks !

Doctor: Thank you for your question. Both AZO and Pyridum contain the same active ingredient: Phenazopyridine. Phenazopyridine a cts as a local pain reliever when it enters the bladder and is excreted in the urine. It is often used to alleviate the pain, irritation, discomfort, or urgency caused by urinary tract infections. Both of these medications will work the same and we encourage you to follow the dosage as instructed by your physician or according to the instructions on the package. It is not recommended to increase the dosage unless instructed by a doctor.Thank you for choosing AskTheDoctor.com