Baby and Chlamydia

Q: I just found out I have chlamydia. I'm 11 weeks pregnant. I'm going to the Dr tomorrow and they're giving me antibiotics for it. I'm really worried that the medicine will hurt the baby. Will it? And when I have the baby will the disease spread to my baby? Im really scared.

A:   Chlamydia is a curable bacterial infection that can be transmitted through genital, oral, or anal sex. It can also be passed from a woman to her baby during delivery. Infection with chlamydia can lead to ectopic pregnancy, preterm premature rupture of membranes (PPROM), and premature delivery. Mothers with untreated chlamydia may transmit the disease to their newborn leading to conjunctivitis or pneumonia.
Chlamydia is treated with antibiotics that are safe to take during pregnancy. Patients who test positive are usually treated with azithromycin 1 g orally in a single dose. The dose may be repeated in 2 - 3 weeks if infection is persistent.