Baby Constipation with nestum rice

Patient

Q: My baby boy is 9 month old now. From 7 month, we are giving him NESTUM Rice. And from 7 month he is doing potty every 3rd or 4th day and color of stoll is also dark black. Please advice.

Symptoms:  Black stool and Stool in 3rd or 4th alternative day.
Doctor

A:   Thank you for your question. Your baby should be having regular daily bowel movements. It is possible that the rice cereal that you are feeding the child is causing his constipation. We recommend that you try an alternative food source for your child. Since this has been going on for two months we recommend that you have this addressed by his pediatrician to examine for any gastrointestinal causes of his constipation. In the meantime you can make sure the child is adequately hydrated with water to help soften his stool and increase bowel movements. Do not give any laxatives to your child unless explicitly prescribed by his pediatrician.

Thank you for choosing Askthedoctor.com